Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Day 37 (6/02) - Colorado

Several guests at Cumbres Suites recommended that I take the train up to the pass before heading back out on the trail.  The train left the station at 10 AM where I met another hiker named Double Shot.

The "little engine that could" is what the locals call this coal powered steam engine.  Apparently it was not designed to pull as many cars as they are using on the scenic ride and there were multiple occasions when the drive wheels spun out on the tracks heading up the 6 percent grade to the pass.


Crossing over a trestle as the locomotive bellows steam and smoke.  My first ride behind a steam locomotive and it was amazing. The horn was deafeningly loud, even in the back of the train.  Had to avoid the occasional cinders flying through the air from the coal smoke.

Back on the trail, heading up for the next four miles. The train dropped us off at Cumbres Pass around 11:30 AM.  My snow gear was shipped to Chama, NM, thus the gaiters. Not sure at this point how much snow I will hit today but soon to find out.


Hiked with Double Shot for a bit but could not keep up with her.  She decided against snow gear so I am carrying quite a bit more weight.  I will probably catch up when her we hit snow.

A view of Chama in the distance as we gain elevation, still going up.

Looks like snow up top, glad I have snow gear with me.

Sure enough I hit significant snow by 4 PM.  Had to throw on my snowshoes and hiked in snow for the rest of the day.  Caught up to Double Shot shortly after hitting the snow, she was post-holing.  We were pretty exposed in a high alpine meadow, trying to find where the trail went down for a safe place to camp.  The snow was soft enough that I was post-holing occasionally, usually on small lakes hidden under the snow but the snowshoes had enough flotation to keep me dry.  I finally found a dry place to camp just before dark.  I went back for Double Shot but could night find her.  Looks like I had the right gear, for today at least. 13.8 miles, 6:30 hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment