Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Day 40 (6/5) - Wet Afternoon

Good morning Colorado! A look back down the valley towards where I camped last night. Long climb ahead, hoping it got cold enough last night to firm up the snow. Wearing crampons this morning.


Looking back where John and I just came across. I caught up with John this morning. I ran out of fuel last night but was able to trade a new canister (that John had been carrying since southern New Mexico) for some trail mix and some of my homemade jerky. That is Squirrel, Handstand, and Dust Bunny in the distance. Wearing snowshoes here for the last couple hours.


Snowshoes, ice axe, and crampons. I needed and used them all this section. Too much time spent putting gear on and then taking it back off but they made this section doable.

Around 2 PM at  Elwood Pass, the clouds started to roll in and Squirrel, Handstand, and Dust Bunny decided to make camp. John and I hiked on with the intention of making it to Wolf Creek Pass by the following evening. The weather had other plans, as it gradually started to rain and then thunderstorm. By 4 PM, ran turned into hail and snow so we tried to find shelter in the trees. I ended up using my ground tarp as a makeshift shelter while it stormed. I got very wet and cold and tried to warm up with a hot meal and hot chocolate. By 6 PM the storm had stopped and I decided to hike until I was warmed up.


Snow and ice everywhere. Any tracks that were ahead are now hidden under the snow. John stayed behind in the trees, he had already pitched his tent.


Very picturesque walking through the woods with everything covered in fresh snow. I was inclined to sing some Christmas carols which brightened my mood.


After a couple hours of hiking, my clothes were dry and I was warmed up so my plan worked. I found a place to pitch on this ridge that was somewhat windy which helped dry everything else out. First pitch on snow, a good test for my NeoAir X-therm. Not a bad view. A valley behind those mountains is where I camped last night. 14.6 miles, 7:15 hiking.


No comments:

Post a Comment