Thursday, June 9, 2016

Day 39 (6/4) - The Bubble

Up with the sun. Looks like I might get above treeline today. I small group of hikers passed me this morning while I was breaking camp. Must be the tracks I was following yesterday.


Hikers ahead breaking trail. I am wearing my crampons this morning, snow is still firm enough this early that snowshoes are not needed. Crampons might be overkill but I did not feel safe when using microspikes on the last stretch before Chama.


A look at the next valley we have to cross. We are heading over the ridge in the distance. That is Handstand and Hikerbox in the foreground.


At the bottom of the valley we got some water. The trail is actually higher than this but I cut down through the valley to avoid the traverse. No evidence of a trail anywhere in all this snow.


Climbing/traversing up out of the valley. A look across to where we came down about an hour before. Squirrel, Handstand, and Dust Bunny are hiking with me now. I end up breaking trail since my lungs seem to be holding up better. As we cross over the ridge, I see a cairn and two more hikers. ABC and Snapshot are taking a break and drying gear. I do not like to stop for breaks and press on.


There is some flatter terrain for a short while wher I catch up to John, on of the warrior hikers. We cross over a ridge to find another steep descent. The trail has switchbacks here but impossible to follow in the snow. I gradually head down and end up glisading much of the descent.


A look back at where we came down. ABC and Snapshot caght up with me on the descent. It looks like Squirrel, Handstand, and Dust Bunny are taking the same route.


From the left: ABC, Handstand, Snapshot, Squirrel, and Dust Bunny. Handstand is also using crampons while the others have microspikes.  I hiked around them most of the day. We take turns breaking trail. It is nice to have others to hike with in this terrain.


We end up camping in the bottom of this valley near the west end. The plan is to hit the ascent while it is frozen tomorrow morning. I meet Speedstik for the first time! She has already done the Appalachian Trail this year and is attempting to complete the Triple Crown in a calendar year. I hiked with her for about an hour before finding a place to camp. As soon as I got my tent pitched, it started to hail, then snow, then rain! This lasted almost three hours. It finally stopped around 7 and I was able to build a fire and dry my gear out over the next few hours. Totally amazing day in the south San Juans! Cannot wait until tomorrow! 11.8 miles, 6:35 hiking.


1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Damon! I'm glad you didn't have to skip ahead. Good luck in the Weminuche!

    ReplyDelete