Thursday, May 5, 2016

Day 1 (4/27)

Caught the CDTA shuttle around 6:30. Changed vehicles in Hachita to something more suitable for off-road.


Sat with Goosebumps wrapped in a blanket, it was a cold morning! (She is completing her triple crown). That's the other shuttle vehicle behind us. Last two hours were slow going, roaf was very rough and washed out in places.


Arrived at Border about 10:30. Took some pictures of the monument. The group I arrived with from the left: Dakota, Lincoln, Clark, and Nevada brothers and cousins. Butterfinger, me, Goosebumps, Chuck, Freebird, and Foxtrot. I met Foxtrot at the Amtrak station in El Paso the day before.


Met some real Mexican cowboys behind "the wall" and exchanged pleasantries. I put one foot in Mexico to start the trip. Everyone gradually started to hit the trail, I started hiking around 11.


Walked with Foxtrot and Goosebumps for a bit. Thanks for all the advice guys!


Along the way, I met/found a lost army ranger about 2 miles before the first water cache (~10 miles from start). He'd started the day before, ran out of water, and spent the night searching for it. I gave him a litre, showed him where we were on the map, some words of encouragement, and moved on. Hit first cache about 3 PM, restocked and checked/treated blisters, left at 4. Goosebumps, Foxtrot, Butterfingers hit the cache shortly before I left.


Hiked about two more hours before setting up camp. Windy night and I did not get much sleep but that my have been from excitement and adrenaline. Awesome first day! 17.5 miles, 6 hours hiking.


No comments:

Post a Comment