Monday, May 9, 2016

Day 12 (5/8) Passing 200 miles.

Woke up this morning to frozen shoes and frost on my sleeping bag. I didn't get much sleep last night, something was crawling on my head and some noisy birds were squawking most of the night. Beautiful morning but the river crossings were cold!


Over 20 river crossings in the last 10 miles to Doc Campbell's. I finally started to get warm by 10. The weight of wet shoes definitely slowed me down today but the only option at this point.


Only had a couple miles of trail today, but it was a very welcome addition to the beautiful river scenery.


A view of the Gila River, the only time I was above it all morning.


I made it to the drop about 1:30 and picked up my resupply box (thanks mom and dad). Made some lunch and chatted with Zippy for a bit. He was heading back out this afternoon.


I decided to camp at the Gila Hot Springs. The owners, Allen and Carla Campbell were very welcoming and accommodating, so glad I stopped here. Allen explained the advantages/disadvantages to the three routes heading north from here, much appreciated! I did some laundry and soaked in the hot springs (the are "sweet" so no sulfur smell) for over an hour. Had a big dinner and cowboy camping under the stars another night. There are cliff dwellings and a museum about 5 miles up the road so I'll spend the morning exploring that area before hitting the trail again. 11.2 miles, 4:15 hours hiking.


5 comments:

  1. Great update! We are so enjoying reading about your adventures!...sure helps the long hospital days more bearable. We want you to come up with a trail name:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 11 miles in a little over 4 hours seems like your pace is picking up. I know that is terrain dependent. Hope your feet are getting used to their new lifestyle. Enjoying your bog very much. Yes, trail name! Surely, you have been asked by other hikers? Let someone you see often name you. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have all the dirt and sand cleaned out of my blisters and my feet are starting to heal, I can walk without pain at a "normal" pace. The heat and how much water I have to carry really determine my pace. Also how often I have to check my maps. The trail dead ends fairly often where it has not been completed and I have to find another route, usually a road near by.

      Delete
  3. Hi...we figured out the whole map tacking aspect. We can get in pretty close! Boaz thinks your trail name should be ---- Mountain because of all the living and adventuring you do in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll start thinking about a trail name if I don't have one by Colorado in a few weeks.😊

      Delete