Monday, May 23, 2016

Day 18 (5/14) Pie Town

The road walk to Pie Town, easy going and almost no traffic. I did meet five mountain bikers riding the Great Divide Trail. Ray and Jo from New Zealand, Rob from all over the US, and Alex and Brian from Michigan.


Some nice people at an animal rescue shelter left some cold water out for us. Thanks!


I made it! Not a lot here to see. A few churches and houses is about all there was. Now let's get some pie!


Janeane at The Gathering Place was nice enough to pick up my resupply package from the Post Office and hold it for me, greeting me with a big hug. Pie Town post office is only open until noon on weekdays. I ate lunch here and had a chocolate cherry pie for dessert. They have a smoker and great food!


The Toaster House. Awesome place to relax and recuperate and it is on the CDT. I met up with the mountain bikers I saw earlier in the day along with about 10 other thru hikers. I took a hot shower and did laundry in a washing machine for the first time since starting the trail. So nice to have clean clothes, especially clean socks!


Nina, who owns the house, stopped by in the evening to visit with everyone. She is the current Trail Angel of the Year. The boot trophy represents that. She is a gracious host and it was a pleasure to meet her.

It rained most of the night. I was cowboy camping under a lean-to roof and was able to stay dry.


No comments:

Post a Comment