Thursday, May 5, 2016

Day 3 (4/29) Happy Birthday!

I caught up with Foxtrot, Goosebumps, and Butterfinger at a watering trough. They are all experienced thru hikers, I'm slower to break camp in the morning. Goosebumps gave me some chocolate caramels and Foxtrot gave me a Snickers to celebrate my birthday. Thanks!


I thought this was interesting, a water shutoff valve box in the middle of the desert. Must be water running somewhere out here but where is the faucet?


More flat desert walking. Wind has died down a bit and the clouds are providing some rejuvenating shade occasionally.


Met a new hiker at the water cache, Chocolate Chipmunk. She started a day before me and is taking it easy, she hiked the PCT in 2012 and wisely taking it easyto get back into hiker shape. I keep heading north. This gate is near where I accidentally kicked a rock...


Trail markers are getting fewer and further between. I am trying to follow the footprints on the trail but keep getting off track due to all the cow trails everywhere.


Yeah, kicking that rock while gawking around at the scenery may haunt me for a while. I'll tape it up and hope for the best. Beware the wild cats scratching up legs and arms.


Finally found a place out of the wind to make dinner and camp around 6:00. Butterfinger, Goosebumps, and Foxtrot caught up to me about 7:00 and sang happy birthday and I blew out there lighters. We'll all get back to Lordsburg tomorrow. They have to get to the post office by noon before it closes. I'll take a longer route to town since I brought my first resupply with me. Hope to see them again up the trail. 25.7 miles, 9 hours hiking.


No comments:

Post a Comment